What is constipation?
Constipation can be defined as infrequent or hard pellet stools or difficulty in evacuating stool. Passing one or more soft, bulky stools every day is a desirable goal for healthy individuals. Constipation is not usually a serious disorder. However, there may be discomfort or other underlying problems causing constipation and, therefore, testing and discussion with physicians or health professionals is recommended if the symptoms prolongs or intensify.
What are the symptoms of constipation?
Constipation may be considered chronic if you’ve experienced two or more of these symptoms for 3 months or more. Signs and symptoms of constipation include:
- Passing fewer than three stools a week
- Having lumpy or hard stools
- Straining to have bowel movements
- Feeling as though there’s a blockage in your rectum that prevents bowel movements
- Feeling as though you can’t completely empty the stool from your rectum
- Needing help to empty your rectum, such as using your hands to press on your abdomen and using a finger to remove stool from your rectum
What are the causes of constipation?
There are many causes of constipation such as lifestyle, medications, medical conditions, and pregnancy, which includes:
- Eating foods low in fiber.
- Not drinking enough water (dehydration).
- Not getting enough exercise.
- Changes in your regular routine, such as traveling or eating or going to bed at different times.
- Resisting the urge to have a bowel movement.
- Iron supplements
- Certain health conditions such as IBS, endocrine problems, diabetes and neurological disorder
How to manage constipation?
Eating plenty of rich-fiber foods including beans, vegetables, fruits, whole grains, oats and bran while consuming less foods that are low in fiber such as processed foods can help with constipation. Foods that are high in prebiotics and probiotics such as kimchi and yogurt can also help to ease constipation. For an instant relief, you could try YourGutt, formulated with the complete biotic system that promotes gut balance with prebiotics, probiotic and postbiotic with beta glucan. Perfect for your daily intake and safe to consume all across the ages from children age 3 years old and above! Get yours today.